Tarion is a private corporation which was established in 1976 to protect the rights of new home buyers and regulate new home builders.
Tarion administers the Ontario New Home Warranties Plan Act, which outlines the warranty protection that new home purchasers are entitled to in Ontario.
- License new home builders and vendors
- Ensure builders/vendors abide by the Ontario New Home Warranties Plan Act
- Help educate new home buyers about their warranty rights
- Protect consumers when builders fail to fulfil their warranty obligations
- Resolve disputes about warranty coverage
- Investigate illegal building practices
- Promote high standards of new home construction
Tarion receives no government funding and is financed entirely by fees collected for builder registration and renewal and new home enrolments. Since it was created in 1976, Tarion has become one of the most comprehensive new home warranty programs in North America.