Tarion is a private corporation that was created in 1976 to provide for the regulation of new home builders and the administration of a warranty plan that protects home buyers in Ontario from certain risks associated with the purchase of a new home.
Our overall mandate is to administer the Ontario New Home Warranties Plan Act and includes:
- Protecting new home buyers from builder failures or defaults (such as, substandard construction, faulty workmanship and materials, incomplete construction and loss of deposits) through the development, promotion and administration of statutory warranties.
- Promoting better communication between builders and buyers of new homes.
- Providing new home buyers with a forum for complaints about builders and assisting in their expeditious and equitable resolution.
- Establishing and administering a guarantee fund that provides for the payment of compensation under the Plan.
- Informing and educating new home builders, and through research programs, promoting progressive improvement in the quality of housing in Ontario.