Established in 2017, Tarion's Ernest Assaly Award recognizes the highest level of excellence in Ontario home building while honouring the legacy of a highly respected leader in the residential building industry.
About the Award
The Ernest Assaly award is named after Tarion's first Chair of the Board of Directors, who led the Board from 1976 to 1988.
An esteemed builder in his own right, Mr. Assaly also served as President of three different organizations: the Ottawa-Carleton Home Builders' Association, the Ontario Home Builders' Association, and the Canadian Home Builders' Association. In 1986, Mr. Assaly was inducted into the Home Builders' Association Hall of Fame.
Each year, the Ernest Assaly Award will celebrate one Ontario residential builder who has demonstrated a continued commitment to Mr. Assaly's values of building quality and innovation, customer service, and community involvement.
While Tarion's Homeowners' Choice Awards focus primarily on customer service, and are determined entirely by new home owners, the Ernest Assaly Award is similar to a lifetime achievement award. Only select builders are invited to participate, and the recipient is determined by our Board of Directors, based on a broad range of criteria (see below).
2017 Ernest Assaly Award Results
Only 38 of Ontario's registered builders were invited to submit a nomination package for the inaugural Ernest Assaly Award. This award, along with the Homeowners' Choice Awards, will be presented on April 19, 2017.
This year's three finalists for the Ernest Assaly Award were:
- Granite Homes
- Lockwood Brothers Construction
- Pinnacle Quality Homes
The 2017 recipient of the Ernest Assaly Award was Lockwood Brothers Construction.
Award Nomination Criteria
To be considered eligible for an Ernest Assaly Award nomination, an Ontario builder must:
- Have been registered as a builder for at least 10 years;
- Not be a current Board member;
- Not be a previous winner of the Ernest Assaly Award;
- Have an "above average" rank on our customer satisfaction surveys, compared to industry peers; and,
- Have completed a minimum of 50 home possessions within the last 10 years.
Additionally, each nominee, including companies under an umbrella organization, must have:
- No valid "alerts" or "flags" on their record;
- No reserves (current or potential);
- No paid claims;
- No Notice of Proposals (to revoke Tarion registration) within the last 10 years;
- No outstanding balance greater than 60 days;
- No Unwilling/Unable status; and,
- No illegal building convictions or fines.
Another key component of the award's criteria is each nominee's ongoing commitment to areas like skilled trades support, building innovation and community involvement.
For more information, please contact:
Laurie Stephens, Senior Manager, Corporate Communications at (416) 229-3863 or firstname.lastname@example.org