Effective February 1, 2021, the Home Construction Regulatory Authority (“HCRA”) assumed Tarion’s previous role of licensing new home vendors and builders. This means that a person who plans to build or sell a new home in Ontario must be licensed by the HCRA and that the HCRA is responsible for granting new licence applications and renewing existing licences.
Tarion is responsible for processes relating to Qualification for Enrolment (QFE) and Enrolment of homes in the Ontario New Home Warranty and Protection Plan. After receiving a licence from the HCRA, a vendor/builder must apply to Tarion for QFE Confirmation for a home it is considering selling and Enrolment Confirmation for a home they are considering building. In addition to conditions imposed in the ONHWP Act and regulations Tarion may propose additional conditions that must be satisfied by the vendor/builder prior to Tarion confirming that the proposed home has QFE or is enrolled in the Plan.
The Tarion application process varies depending on the type of home sale/construction transaction. The three types are:
- Homes (condominium or freehold) where the land and home are to be sold before construction begins;
- Homes (condominium or freehold) where the land and home are to be sold after construction has begun; and
- Contract homes where the dwelling is to be built on land owned by the prospective homeowner.
If you are registered with BuilderLink, Tarion’s online builder service, you can enrol homes electronically. Once you complete all of the requirements, Tarion will issue the Enrolment Confirmation and you can begin construction of the home. The Enrolment Confirmation is your authorization from Tarion to build.
If you’re not currently registered with BuilderLink, we encourage you to register today.
If you’re not a BuilderLink user, the steps to enrol freehold homes and condominiums are as follows:
- Obtain an enrolment form by calling the Underwriting Department at 1-877-696-6497 ext. 3001 or through email at: email@example.com.
- Complete one form for each freehold home or condominium unit and send it to Tarion together with the required fee as per the Tarion Enrolment Fee Table. Batch enrolments and electronic payments are possible for BuilderLink users only. Make cheques payable to Tarion Warranty Corporation.
- Enrolment and payment of fees for single family homes (not condominium units) must occur immediately upon the issuance of a building permit.
- Enrolment and payment of fees for condominium units must occur no less than 30 days before the start of construction.
- Per your terms and conditions, if security is required at enrolment, any required security must be included with the enrolment form. Vendors/Builders will be advised of any security requirements after their Application to Sell Homes has been reviewed. Please see Registrar Bulletins 11F – Freehold Security Requirements, 11L – Low Rise Security Requirements and 11H – High-rise Security Requirements for more information about the posting and release of security.
- Retain a copy of each enrolment form for your records. Please mail forms to: Tarion, Underwriting Department, 5160 Yonge Street, 12th Floor, Toronto, Ontario, M2n 6L9.
Enrolments are typically processed within three business days if the enrolment fee, information (Form) and security, if applicable, are received. Vendors/Builders will receive a Certificate of Completion and Possession and Warranty Certificate (CCP/WC) as confirmation of each home enrolled with Tarion.
Once the home is possessed/occupied, the final sale price must be provided on the Certificate of Completion and Possession (CCP) and the applicable enrolment fee may be adjusted by Tarion.
If you have any questions in regard to enrolling new homes, please contact the Underwriting Department at 1-877-696-6497 ext. 3001 or sending an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.