Homeowner Information Package
SEARCH THE HIP
Certain severe conditions constitute an emergency situation. An emergency is any warrantable deficiency within the control of your builder that, if not attended to immediately, would likely result in imminent and substantial damage to your home, or would likely represent an imminent and substantial risk to the health and safety of its occupants.
Examples of emergency situations include:
- Complete loss of heat between September 15 and May 15;
- Gas leak*;
- Complete loss of electricity*;
- Complete loss of water*;
- Complete stoppage of sewage disposal*;
- Plumbing leak that requires the entire water supply to be shut off;
- Major collapse of any part of the home’s exterior or interior structure;
- Water penetration through the interior walls or ceiling;
- A pool of standing water inside the home;
- Presence of unacceptable levels of hazardous substances inside the home, such as radon and mould; and/or
- Any situation where, in the opinion of Tarion, the home is not fit for occupancy due to health or safety reasons.
During this period, it is important that you provide your builder and their tradespeople access to your home.
* Emergency situations due to the failure of a municipality or utility to provide the service are not covered under warranty because they are not within the builder’s control.