Homeowner Information Package
SEARCH THE HIP
There are a few things you must do to protect your home’s statutory warranty. Failing to do so could put your home’s statutory warranty in jeopardy.
- Immediately call the emergency contact telephone number provided by your builder.
- If you are unable to reach your builder or if your builder does not attend to the situation within 24 hours, you should contact us at 1-877-9TARION (1-877-982-7466) for further assistance.
- If you cannot reach your builder or Tarion, and have no other option but to have the work completed, you or your contractors should correct the situation. However, only the emergency condition should be corrected and the problem should be documented with pictures taken before and after the repair, if possible.
- You should not repair any damage to builder-installed materials. If your builder is responsible for the emergency item and you have notified him/her, he/she should resolve the damage to builder-installed materials caused by the emergency condition within 30 days. If your builder fails to do so, we will work with you directly to settle the matter.
- To recover costs for the circumstances set out in item 3 above, you will need to submit an Emergency Form to us and your builder as soon as possible after completing the repair. This Form is available by contacting Tarion at (1-877-982-7466). Apart from taking steps to protect your property, you should not undertake any repair work without giving your builder 24 hours to assess the problem and take corrective measures. You will not automatically receive reimbursement for emergency repairs, and, in addition, completing the work without an assessment by your builder may jeopardize your statutory warranty coverage.