PLEASE NOTE: If designated, on February 1, 2021 the Home Construction Regulatory Authority (HCRA) will assume responsibility for builder and vendor licensing in the province of Ontario. At that time, some of the functions addressed on this page will no longer be handled by Tarion. You can find out more here
As of September 1, 2016, new applicants proposing to build residential freehold and low-rise condominium construction under Part 9 of the Ontario Building Code will be required to complete seven educational competencies in addition to Tarion’s existing registration requirements. The educational requirements are based on the Canadian Home Builders’ Association’s National Education Benchmarks for residential construction. Achieving these competencies is a pre-requisite for registration.
The core competencies must be held by one or shared by several Directors or Officers (DO) of the company, or Principals of a sole proprietorship/partnership.
The competencies include:
- Business Planning and Management
- Financial Planning and Management
- Project Management and Supervision
- Legal Issues in Housing
- Building Codes in Ontario*
- Construction Technology*
- Customer Service and Tarion Requirements
*New vendor only applicants are not required to complete the Building Code in Ontario or Construction Technology competencies.
The following education providers are offering courses that can be used towards achieving the seven competencies. Links to the course provider websites are provided below the table.
|Training Ontario||OHBA||MMI Professional Services||buildABILITY|
|Business Planning & Management||Online Course with Classroom Assessment||Classroom||Classroom|
|Financial Planning & Management||Online Course with Classroom Assessment||Online with 1 Day Classroom||Classroom||Classroom|
|Project Management & Supervision||Online Course with Classroom Assessment||Online with 1 Day Classroom||Classroom|
|Legal Issues in Housing||Online Course with Classroom Assessment||Classroom|
|Building Codes in Ontario||Online Course with Classroom Assessment||Classroom|
|Construction Technology||Online Course with Classroom Assessment||Classroom|
|Customer Service & Tarion Requirements||Online Course with Classroom Assessment||Online with 1 Day Classroom||Classroom||Classroom|
If you believe you already have certain competencies and wish to be tested on these competencies instead of taking a course, this can be done through Algonquin College. Click here to sign up for an assessment exam.
Tarion may grant exemptions for some of the education requirements on the basis of an applicant’s prior experience and education. Exemptions will be considered for the following categories:
- Applicants who were Principals, Officers, or Directors for five or more years with a registered builder;
- Applicants who were employees engaged in the customer service, construction or business management of a registered builder, and who have five or more years in that capacity;
- Applicants who have obtained comparable core competencies with another Canadian Warranty Program;
- Applicants who have achieved a professional designation or obtained formal education in an area related to an area of competency;
- Applicants who have achieved Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing recognition for competency in Part 9 of the Building Code.
Exemption requests will be evaluated by Tarion on a case by case basis. If you think your experience and professional qualification may be eligible for an exemption, click here.
Click here to learn more about the core learning requirements for each competency.
Frequently Asked Questions
For answers to the most commonly asked questions related to educational requirements, click here.