• Builders_HERO


Who Needs to Get Registered?

PLEASE NOTE: If designated, on February 1, 2021 the Home Construction Regulatory Authority (HCRA) will assume responsibility for builder and vendor licensing in the province of Ontario. At that time, some of the functions addressed on this page will no longer be handled by Tarion. You can find out more here.


Anyone in the Province of Ontario who plans to build and/or sell a new home or condo ​must be registered with Tarion and enrol the home(s) and condo(s) as per the requirements of the Onta​​rio New Home Warranties Plan Act.

If you are planning to build new homes, you will need to register with Tarion as a builder.​
A builder is defined as; a person who undertakes the performance of all the work and supply of all the material necessary to construct a completed home whether for the purpose of sale by the person or under a contract with a vendor or owner;

If you are planning to sell new homes, you will need to register with Tarion as a vendor.

A vendor is defined as a person who se​lls on his, her or its own behalf a home not previously occupied to an owner and includes a builder who constructs a hom​e under a contract wi​th the owner.

And if you are planning to both build and sell new homes, you will need to register with Tarion as a builder and a vendor.

Each home that you propose to build must also be enrolled with Tarion.​​​​​​

There are a number of Builder Bulletins​, as well as the Ontario New H​o​me Warranties Plan Act​​​, which govern t​he registration process, review and approval.

As of January 1, 2018, builders who wish to construct residential condominium conversion projects and vendors who wish to sell units in these projects must also be registered with Tarion.  Please click here for registration requirements.
If you have any questions regarding this please contact the Licensing and Underwriting Department at 1-877-696-6497 ext. 3001 or via e-mail at L&U@tarion.com.