• Resources Header

    Construction Performance Guidelines

About the Guidelines

These helpful guidelines outline work and material deficiencies in new homes and residential condominium units covered under the statutory warranty [...]

A6: Chipped Clay Bricks

The following table is from Canadian Standards Association, CSA-A82-06, “Fired Masonry Brick made from Clay or Shale”.

Table: Fired Masonry Brick made from Clay or Shale
Click image to view full size.

† Plain brick are dry-pressed brick or extruded brick with an unbroken natural die finish.

‡ Texture brick are moulded brick or extruded brick with the face sanded, combed, engobed, scratched, or scarified, or the die skin on the face entirely broken by mechanical means such as wire cutting or wire brushing.

* Percentage of exposed brick in the wall permitted to have chippage extending from an edge or corner to the dimensions in this Table. Of all the brick units that will be exposed in the wall, a small percentage of the units may have chips that range in size greater than that allowed for the majority of the units. This special allowed percentage, as shown in the “Maximum % allowed” column (2), ranges up to 10% for S (plain), and up to 15% for S (textured). The remainder of the brick units that will be exposed in the wall, as shown in the “Remaining % allowed” column (5), shall conform to the maximum allowed chippage shown in columns (6) and (7) of this Table.

Example: The brick units to be placed in to the wall should be inspected prior to being placed. The S (plain) units will then conform to the requirements of this Table if not more that 10% of the units have edge chips greater than 6.5 mm but less than 8.0 mm and the remainder of the units, in this example 90% (100% - 10%), do not have edge chips greater than 6.5 mm in from the edge or 9.5 mm in from the corner.


  1. The aggregate length of chips shall not exceed 10% of the perimeter of the face of the brick (CAN/CSA- A82-06, s.7.3).
  2. Type S brick are for general use in masonry (CAN/CSA-A82-06, s.5.(1))

“With the permission of Canadian Standards Association, material is reproduced from CSA Standard CAN/CSA-A82-06, which is copyrighted by Canadian Standards Association, 5060 Spectrum Way, Suite 100 Mississauga, Ontario, L4W 5N6, www.csa.ca. While use of this material has been authorized, CSA shall not be responsible for the manner in which the information is presented, nor for any interpretations thereof.”

6.1 Using a representative sample to determine the percentages of affected bricks in Table 4:

A representative sample may be used to determine the percentage of bricks (Columns (2) and (5) in Table 4) that have chips of specified sizes.

The representative sample (versus an isolated section of the wall with the chipped brick problem) shall be 1 m x 1 m in size with the centre of the sample located 1.5 m above the foundation in the middle of the wall. If the sample lands on an opening (window, door, etc), it shall be moved horizontally in the direction of the most brick in the sample so a full square metre of brick is sampled.

Individual bricks must still meet the maximum chip dimensions in Table 4.

6.2 Illustrating Brick Chippage

These illustrations are colour-coded to help describe the information in Table 4.

Diagram: Illustrating Brick Chippage
Click image to view full size.