March is Fraud Prevention Month and Tarion is issuing a strong warning to consumers that an illegally built home in Ontario may come with devastating consequences, including a home that may be unsafe to inhabit or a builder who, once paid, abandons the project altogether.
The information on this page will help you learn more about illegal building in Ontario and how to protect your biggest investment. If you have any information about illegal building activities in the province, please call Tarion's anonymous tip-line at 1-800-786-6497.
- What is illegal building and how can you report it? Find out here.
- Read Howard Bogach’s latest article here on how illegal building puts buyers at risk.
- Use Tarion’s Ontario Builder Directory to do as much research about your builder as possible. If your builder is not in our directory, they may be building illegally.
- Illegally built homes can come with a big price tag. Find out how big. Read our press release here.
- Read our latest blog about how to keep an eye out for illegal builder here.