Tarion Has Implemented 22 of the Auditor General of Ontario’s Recommendations
TORONTO – Tarion continues to make progress in addressing recommendations from the Auditor General of Ontario with the announcement of new improvements and the release of an updated implementation plan.
“Since receiving the Auditor General’s report, Tarion has improved customer service, created greater transparency, and strengthened our corporate governance,” said Peter Balasubramanian, President and CEO of Tarion. “Ontarians are looking for new homes that are safe and properly built, and they have every right to get them. With this valuable guidance from the Auditor General, we’ll continue to improve and make changes that benefit new homebuyers and owners.”
This builds on previous improvements Tarion has recently made, such as:
- Launching a new e-learning hub with plain language modules to help homeowners understand their warranty coverage, and created a new Warranty Information Sheet to be attached to all purchase agreements to provide clear and helpful warranty information at the time of sale;
- Establishing a timely and cost-effective mediation process to resolve warranty disputes which may save homeowners time, money and stress of challenging a warranty assessment decision through formal legal proceedings;
- Increasing the warranty compensation limit for defects relating to condominium common elements and hazardous substances (such as mould and radon).
Of the 25 recommendations directed to Tarion in the Auditor General’s report, 22 of 25 have been completed, including most recently:
- A new process for sharing information on warranted Ontario Building Code (OBC) claims on a quarterly basis with municipal building officials to help municipalities better understand current construction issues and help improve compliance with the Ontario Building Code.
- A progress update confirming the completion of all the recommendations for systemic improvement made by the Office of the New Home Ombuds.
We are making these changes to increase consumer confidence in the new home buying process, help all new home buyers in Ontario have peace of mind for one of life’s most significant purchases, and create a stronger new home warranty and protection program for all Ontarians.
For more information on these new measures, please view our backgrounder here.
- 30 -
For media request please contact: