• Resources_HERO


What Building Officials need to know about Tarion

Quick facts:

  • By law, anyone in Ontario who plans to build a home for someone else or sells a new home must be registered as a vendor or builder with Tarion. 
  • Statutory warranty protection follows the home and is valid for seven years from the original date of possession, regardless of who owns the home. 

Every day, Tarion helps to build confidence in Ontario’s new home building industry by investigating illegal builders and by backstopping the new home warranty protection provided to homeowners. This section contains resources that may be helpful to you, your building department and your local association. 

If you have questions about Tarion, the warranty program or would like us to speak to your building department or local chapter, please contact us.

General Resources for Municipal Building Departments

To learn about Tarion, help local builders in navigating the process to become a registered builder, and ensure homebuyers and homeowners understand the warranty program, these resources provide the important information you need. 

Hard copies of any online publications are available and can be ordered by reaching out to stakeholderrelations@tarion.com

How to Become a New Home Builder

This e-brochure outlines the requirements and process to become a new home builder in Ontario.

Quick Tip: Share this brochure with potential builders that reach out to your building department. 

A Guide to The New Home Warranty Brochure

This e-brochure outlines the warranty coverage that comes with new homes and condominiums in Ontario. It also includes a helpful chart that allows new homebuyers to view their warranty coverage at a glance.

Quick Tip: Feel free to share this with local new homeowners. 

Types of Homes Covered and Not Covered

The new home warranty covers the majority of homes built in Ontario but there are circumstances where certain types of homes may not be eligible for warranty coverage. These resource pages provide information on what types of homes are covered and not covered, and help clarify the limitations of the warranty coverage.

Quick Tip: If you have questions as to whether a home should be enrolled in the warranty program, please send an email to ismyhomecovered@tarion.com

Online Video Library

Our online video library provides access to a growing number of short, informative videos on a wide range of warranty topics, including illegal building and radon. 

Quick Tip: The share icon in the top right corner of each video, gives you the YouTube link. Feel free to copy this link and share it with your local homeowners and builders.

Illegal Building

In Ontario, anyone who builds a new home for sale or under contract with an owner is required to be registered with Tarion. Almost every new home in the province must be enrolled in the Ontario New Home Warranty Program. Learn more about preventing illegal building and protecting Ontario’s new home buyers and owners.

Ontario Builder Directory

The Ontario Builder Directory provides valuable information about Ontario’s new home builders to potential home buyers, helping them make informed decisions when considering a builder for their new home.  For example, this directory indicates if a builder is registered with Tarion, how many homes they've built and information about their after-sales service record with Tarion. As of 2018, the directory also shows whether a home has been enrolled in the warranty program. 

Quick Tip: If the builder is not found in our directory, it is possible they are an illegal builder. Illegal building can be reported to Tarion’s Compliance and Investigations team at investigations@tarion.com or 1-877-982-7466 ext. 3833.

Sharing Compliance Information with Tarion

This article explains how to share information with Tarion about builder conduct concerns, including illegal building. By asking a few simple questions, our staff can collect the information Tarion needs to begin investigating the concern.

Quick Tip: If you prefer to remain anonymous when contacting Tarion’s Compliance and Investigations team, simply let our trained team member know at the start of your phone call.

Using Municipal Building Permit Information to Identify Illegal Building

This resource page highlights our collaboration with municipalities to combat illegal building in Ontario. Under the Good Government Act, 2009, municipalities must provide information about building permits and applicants to Tarion. This information assists Tarion's Compliance and Investigations team in identifying and investigating illegal building activity.

Quick Tip: Municipalities can submit information electronically. If you have additional questions or concerns about this initiative, please contact Tanya Gibson, Director, Compliance & Investigations, at 416-229-3807 or tanya.gibson@tarion.com.

How to Report Illegal Building

If you suspect illegal building may be taking place, or have concerns related to builder conduct, please complete the Compliance and Investigations Complaint Form (PDF download) and send it via email to Tarion's Compliance and Investigations team at investigations@tarion.com. This email address may also be used for inquiries regarding whether a specific home is enrolled and/or eligible for warranty coverage.

The Construction Performance Guidelines

The Construction Performance Guidelines (CPG) for Freehold Homes and Condominium Units and for Common Elements provide objective and uniform criteria that set out the minimum performance required in the construction of new homes in Ontario. It also provides advance guidance as to how Tarion will decide disputes between homeowners and builders about defects in work or materials.

Quick Tip: Tarion is conducting an ongoing review of the CPG for Freehold Homes and Condominium Units. If you have feedback or would like to share an idea on how the CPG can be improved, please submit them here.


Radon and The New Home Warranty Program

Radon is an invisible, odourless, naturally occurring gas found in soil. In high concentrations, it may pose health risks. This resource page contains helpful information about radon and warranty coverage. It also explains how to test for radon and how to make a warranty claim for excessive radon.

Quick Tip: When testing for radon, the test must be certified through the Canadian National Radon Proficiency Program in order to be eligible for warranty coverage.