April 8, 2021 Update
The health and safety of homeowners, builders, and others is a top priority for Tarion. As the number of COVID-19 cases in the province continues to change, we will continue to monitor the current provincial and regional health and safety guidelines and making adjustments to our practices as needed. Information on this page is updated whenever changes are made.
The Government of Ontario has declared a third provincial emergency and has issued a province-wide stay-at-home order beginning Thursday, April 8. According to the provincial guidelines, construction and repairs can proceed under strict health and safety protocols. To find out more about the restrictions, click here.
Until the stay-at-home order is lifted, Tarion inspections will be conducted virtually. In-person inspections will be limited to outdoor items or issues related to health and safety or emergency situations.
Builder repair periods are extended until after the stay-at-home order is lifted. Tarion is making this change to help minimize transmission of the virus and allow homeowners and builders to consider whether repairs could be postponed. No extensions will be given for emergency or health and safety issues.
If builders wish to proceed with repairs, they must:
- Make sure both builder representatives and homeowners are comfortable proceeding with the repairs.
- Ensure proper health and safety measures are in place. Specific guidelines can be found in the provincial framework.
Alternatively, if homeowners and builders are willing, they can enter into a written agreement to identify how and when the repairs can be completed in a safe way that is consistent with the health and safety guidelines endorsed by the province. Those agreements should be provided to Tarion so that the timelines can be formally adjusted.
If you have questions about the provincial framework and impacts to your business, please call the provincial government's Stop the Spread Business Information Line at 1-888-444-3659.
If you have further questions about the extended repair periods, please contact our Customer Service team at 1-877-982-7466 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Throughout the COVID-19 outbreak, Tarion has been taking various precautionary measures and adjusting our operations to ensure the health and safety of our employees as well as homeowners, builders and the greater community. We are making every effort to ensure this situation does not impact our customer service and support for both homeowners and builders.
At this time, the Tarion office is closed to outside visitors. For deliveries, please email email@example.com or call 416-229-9200 ext 3305.
- Advisory for Homeowners & Builders - Updated Health & Safety Measures - October 30, 2020
- Advisory for Homeowners & Builders - Pre-Delivery Inspections & Delayed Closings - October 30, 2020
- Guidance for Repairs during COVID-19 - October 30, 2020
- Guidance for Pre-Delivery Inspections during COVID-19 - October 30, 2020
- Advisory on health and safety precautions for Virtual and In-person Inspections/meetings - October 20, 2020
- Advisory for Homeowners & Builders: Building Material Shortages - August 17, 2020