Nominations for the Consumer Advisory Council are now open!
The Consumer Advisory Council (CAC) is a sub-committee of the Stakeholder Committee of the Board of Directors of Tarion, and provides ongoing advice on proposed operation, policy or other changes impacting consumers buying new homes.
The purpose of the CAC is to:
- Act as an advisory body who provides ongoing advice from a home buyer/consumer perspective on proposed Tarion operational and policy-related matters and changes.
- Provide external expertise, and personal perspective/experience to proposed policy-related matters and changes.
- Identify topics to be considered for potential policy discussions that would enhance consumer confidence in purchasing a new home, new home warranty protection, and/or provide benefits to Ontario new home purchasers.
Council members are expected to:
- Have the ability to serve for a minimum of two years and eligible to be appointed for up to six years (e.g., three, two-year terms);
- Attend a minimum of four meetings that take place each year in person or virtually;
- Participate in special requests for work engaging Council in part or in whole, whether initiated by the Chair, by the Stakeholder Committee or by Management under direction of the Committee outside of the pre-scheduled meetings;
- Always act bearing in mind the public interest mandate of Ontario’s new home warranty program and with a particular emphasis on consumer protection;
- Read and sign a Confidentiality Agreement and Conflict of Interest Declaration before assuming a position on the Council, and attest to compliance with the foregoing annually thereafter;
- Have his/her/their Council membership and relevant background published on the Corporation’s website; and,
- Be able to commit the time and resources to serve on the Consumer Advisory Council.
Council Members will be compensated reasonable travel expenses and a meeting per diem.
- A commitment to the Consumer Advisory Council’s purpose and mandate of improving consumer protection;
- Strong communication and collaborative skills;
- Previous advisory council, consumer advocacy, or public policy experience is an asset; and
- Demonstrate credibility, integrity and high ethical standards in business dealings and personal affairs.
The Council shall be comprised of individuals who are or have been recent new home buyers; or are professional leaders who have new home buyers as clients,
To the fullest extent practicable, and taking into consideration a balancing of home buyer or consumer perspectives, the specific composition of Council will strive to include:
- At least two recent new home buyers who are or have been a member of a condominium board and have had experience with a Condominium Corporation either as a resident or non-resident owner, or as a condominium manager.
- At least two recent freehold new home buyers who have experience with Tarion’s warranty process;
- A person who has experience with consumer advocacy (not necessarily in the area of new homes, but acting on behalf of consumers in the public interest)
- A real estate lawyer with experience working for/on behalf of condominium or freehold new home buyers;
- A real estate agent with experience working for/on behalf of new home buyers,
- At least one technical professional associated with new home buyers, including but not limited to a Chief Building Official (active or retired) experienced in new home regulation and enforcement, a home inspector with experience working with new home buyers, or a professional with an engineering or building science background.
At this time, the Consumer Advisory Council is looking to fill two vacant positions.
To Apply - please submit a letter of intent and your resume by February 24, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All cover letters and resumes will be reviewed by the Nominations Committee of the CAC, and candidates should be prepared to make themselves available for further discussion in late February and early March.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only those selected for consideration will be contacted. For more information about the role and nomination process – please contact us at email@example.com
Tarion is committed to equity. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, gender, background or disability. Tarion is also committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities in a timely manner, and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility and meeting accessibility requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Accommodation is available for applicants with disabilities in our recruitment processes.