Nominations for the Consumer Advisory Council are now open!
The Consumer Advisory Council (CAC) is looking to fill an end of term vacancy starting January 1, 2024 with a new home buyer that has experience with Tarion’s warranty process.
The CAC consists of nine members and reports to the Stakeholder Committee of the Board of Directors of Tarion.
The purpose of the CAC is to act as an advisory body who provides ongoing advice from a home buyer/consumer perspective on proposed policy or other changes impacting new home buyer consumers.
Council members are expected to:
· Have the ability to serve for a minimum of two years and eligible to be appointed for up to six years (e.g., three, two-year terms);
· Attend a minimum of four meetings that take place each year in person or virtually;
· Participate in special requests for work engaging Council in part or in whole, whether initiated by the Chair, by the Stakeholder Committee or by Management under direction of the Committee outside of the pre-scheduled meetings;
· Always act bearing in mind the public interest mandate of Ontario’s new home warranty program and with a particular emphasis on consumer protection;
· Read and sign a Confidentiality Agreement and Conflict of Interest Declaration before assuming a position on the Council, and attest to compliance with the foregoing annually thereafter;
· Have his/her/their Council membership and relevant background published on the Corporation’s website; and
· Be able to commit the time and resources necessary to serve on the Consumer Advisory Council.
Council Members will be compensated for reasonable travel expenses and a per diem
of $800.00 per meeting.
· A minimum of 2 years as a new home owner with experience with Tarion;
· A maximum of 8 years since taking possession of a new home;
· A positive orientation to consumer protection in keeping with the Consumer Advisory Council’s purpose and mandate of improving consumer protection;
· Strong communication and collaborative skills;
· Previous advisory council, consumer advocacy or public policy experience in related domains is an asset (e.g. municipal, health, education); and
· Demonstrate credibility, integrity and high ethical standards in business dealings and personal affairs.
To apply, please submit a letter of intent detailing how you meet the stated qualifications and your resume by October 9, 2023, to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only those selected for consideration will be contacted. For more information about the role and nomination process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tarion is committed to equity. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, gender, background, or disability. Tarion is also committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities in a timely manner and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility and meeting accessibility requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Accommodation is available for applicants with disabilities in our recruitment processes.