Tarion is launching a consultation on certain items from the Construction Performance Guidelines (CPG). The CPG sets out the acceptable performance standards that apply to a number of the most commonly identified after sales warranty issues.
The CPG helps promote confidence in the new home construction sector by providing a consistent framework on how warranty questions may be determined.
Tarion is now consulting on a number of proposed changes to the CPG, specifically:
- General updates to align the CPG with the current regulatory environment and Tarion processes.
- New Article 1.19 “Radon” which incorporates Tarion’s current approach to assessing radon claims into the CPG for consistency and transparency.
- Revised Article 6.14 “Sewer, Drains or Fixtures Blocked” to enhance clarity.
- Revised Article 5.6 “Ice Buildup on the Roof” to align with the approach presented in article 2.9 "Excessive Icicle or Ice Damming Formation" from the Common Elements CPG, which has been in effect since 2012.
- Created a new “Assessment Checklist for Homes with Ice Buildup on Roofs”, a checklist to support Article 5.6 as an assessment tool for builders and Tarion staff.
You can find more details of the changes in the consultation discussion guide here.
Please complete the consultation survey found here or review the consultation questions found in this document and submit any feedback on the proposed changes to email@example.com by January 29, 2024.
In identifying which elements from the CPG to include in this consultation, Tarion used various data sources including Tarion's data on warranty claim items, results from the 2023 CPG Survey, and outstanding topics from the 2019 CPG review cycle.
Tarion is an independent, not-for-profit, consumer protection organization designated by the provincial government to administer the Ontario New Home Warranties Plan Act (ONHWPA). Tarion provides education, warranty support and dispute resolution services to Ontario’s new home buyers and builders and has been providing consumer protection to Ontarians since 1976.
For media requests please contact: Andrew.Donnachie@tarion.com