Skip to main content

Main navigation

The Qualification for Enrolment (QFE) Process

Anyone who plans to build and/or sell a new home in Ontario must be licensed by the Home Construction Regulatory Authority (HCRA) and must apply to Tarion for approval and to enrol the home in the warranty plan.

The procedure for applying to Tarion is referred to as the Qualification for Enrolment (QFE) Process. In general, you must obtain a Qualification for Enrolment Confirmation from Tarion for every new home you intend to sell and an Enrolment Confirmation for every new home you intend to build. 

Information about the QFE Process

The process, which varies based on the type of home you wish to sell and/or build, is outlined in the following Registrar Bulletins:

For videos to help you navigate the QFE process, please visit the Resources section.

How to start the QFE Process

The first step is to submit the Qualification for Enrolment Application. If you have access to Builderlink you can submit a QFE application there. If you do not currently have a BuilderLink account and you are licensed with the HCRA or the HCRA is processing your license application, you can still start the QFE application process, to do so click the button below:

Start the QFE application process

Please Note: Tarion will not be able to finalize any QFE application until the HCRA has issued the Vendor/Builder with a valid licence. You cannot sell or build without an approved licence from the HCRA, a confirmed QFE application and all required conditions of the QFE application have been satisfied.


QFE Documents

To view the documents that you are required to submit as part of your QFE application, please visit the Builders' Forms page. For more information about each document, please visit our Glossary.